Cape Town clinic reopens after extortion incident
It was overwhelmed with patients on Monday morning
Dozens of patients stood in line at Town Two Clinic on Monday as it reopened two weeks after an extortion incident. Photo: Vincent Lali
For the first time in two weeks, a long queue of patients stood outside Town Two Clinic in Khayelitsha on Monday. The clinic had been closed since the beginning of February following an extortion incident.
The decision to reopen the clinic was made by the City of Cape Town and community leaders after a risk assessment.
In the early hours of Monday, 2 February, two security guards were held for ransom by extortionists demanding a protection fee.
“If we allow the thugs to close the clinic, they will close other clinics as well,” said Lumkile Sizila, coordinator for Amadoda Aqotho (Men of Integrity) and a member of the Khayelitsha Community Policing Forum (CPF). “I live with HIV. If they close the clinic, I will be an [ARV] defaulter.”
He said neighbourhood watch members, CPF representatives, police and community volunteers would monitor the clinic daily. He also called on the City of Cape Town to install cameras at the facility.
Nokwanda Tyelinzima said she was relieved the clinic had reopened. “My medication ran out on Thursday last week. I have not taken it since then,” she said.
Ward councillor Thando Pimpi said many residents had missed appointments during the closure. “The clinic is crowded today because residents have not been taking their chronic medications, so they are behind with their treatment,” he said.
There were some delays on Monday as the clinic was not prepared to handle the demand. Extra medicines were delivered shortly before 10am.
Security was visible at the entrance, with guards searching bags and monitoring the premises.
In a statement released on Thursday, the City of Cape Town condemned “the criminal intimidation and threats that led to the temporary suspension of services at the Town Two Clinic”.
A mobile clinic delivered extra medicines just before 10am. Photo: Mary-Anne Gontsana
Support independent journalism
Donate using Payfast

Don't miss out on the latest news
We respect your privacy, and promise we won't spam you.
Next: Drivers given 60 days to comply with strict scholar transport rules
Previous: Durban police brutality case: another step closer to trial after seven years of delays
© 2026 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.
We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

